This holiday season, create a welcoming environment for your guests. From getting your home ready for company to managing the many messes that come with a packed home, there are several cleaning tips to help you enjoy the fun at hand without the extra stress.
“The holiday season offers up an abundance of get-togethers,” said Coryanne Ettiene, home and lifestyle expert at Kitchen Living with Coryanne. “But all of this merriment can bring about a lot of messes and more cleaning for the busy host.”
Six Tips for Spick and Span Spaces
Ettiene offers up these six tips for tidying so you can keep your holly jolly home in guest-approved order this season:
- Act like a guest. A properly cleaned home requires close attention to the details. Before you get out the duster and cleaning solutions, look through each room with a visitor’s eye. That pile of old magazines in the corner may be something you overlook each day but should be straightened before the guests arrive.
- Prep your kitchen surfaces. Often serving as the base camp for holiday entertaining, the kitchen deserves some extra attention. For kitchens with granite and other natural-stone surfaces, use an effective cleaner, such as the Granite Gold® three-part system of cleaning, sealing and polishing before the party to ensure that it looks cleaner – and finger-print free – for longer and it’s safe for food preparation.
- Manage holiday decor. From the tree in your living room to the glittering wreath on your door, those holiday decorations can create a mess in your living spaces. Have a helpful tool on hand, such as a lint roller, to clean up the glitter, pine needles and other tiny messes in minutes.
- Have a plan for common spills. The kitchen is a common hangout in many homes, and granite and other natural-stone counters will see plenty of spills and messes. A properly sealed stone counter will help make clean-up easier because the seal will prevent liquids from penetrating the surface. “Wipe up those spills and messes right away,” Ettiene warns. “If a stone counter isn’t properly sealed, that liquid will soon turn into a stain and an eyesore.”
- Attack the germs. With so many family members and friends stopping by to wish you a happy holiday, it is essential to keep the kitchen hangout clear of germs. To do so, clear your kitchen surface of debris and apply a convenient product, such as MicroGold® Multi-Action Disinfectant Antimicrobial Spray. It’s a sister brand of Granite Gold® and has been tested and proven effective to kill the COVID-19 virus. “An important reminder about any disinfectant is to let it sit on the surface for 3 minutes to kill viruses and 10 minutes for bacteria for it to take effect. Don’t wipe away the residue right away; let the disinfectant do the job,” Ettiene said.
- Clear a space for guest items. Make sure other areas of your home are accommodating to guests. If your coat closet is full of items, clear some space for visitors to hang their coats, hats and other accessories. Keeping this area free of clutter is a great first impression for entering guests. If you don’t have a coat closet, designate a special area on a guest room bed or trunk for such belongings.