They suffer more wear and tear than just about any other surface in your home. From marble floor care to cleaning limestone floors and any other type of stone floor, here are our top 10 tips on how to clean stone floors:
- Be sure your vacuum attachment does not scratch stone floors.
- Use and keep door mats clean to minimize the dirt and micro particles from wearing into your stone floors.
- Weekly damp mopping keeps the floor free of abrasive particles.
- Wipe/blot spills immediately to prevent liquid from penetrating the stone.
- Don’t use common floor care products as a granite cleaner for floors (or for cleaning any other type of natural stone floor)
- Avoid dragging objects across stone floors. Lift, don’t drag, to avoid scratching stone floors.
- Do not use coarse scrubbing pads; they’re too abrasive and can scratch stone floors.
- Inspect your floor for stains and etch marks before sealing, and address those before sealing.
- When cleaning tile, use a nylon brush along grout lines to agitate dirt and soil.
- Seal grout lines to create a protective barrier against spills.
How to Seal Granite and Other Natural Stone
Removing Stains From Granite & Other Natural Stone
Grout Cleaning is a Dirty Job
Ask the Experts
Having a challenge with your stone surface? Need to know how to remove stains from granite, marble, travertine and other natural stone? Wondering about an affective granite cleaner to remove soot from your fireplace mantel? Let us help and give you 50 years’ experience in all-things stone. Our customer service is equally important as our products, and we recently announced multiple ways for homeowners to receive advice on caring for granite countertops and other natural stone surfaces. It’s as easy as visiting the FAQs in the Ask the Experts section of our website, posting on our Facebook or Twitter pages, sending an email to StoneCareExperts@GraniteGold.com, or calling 800-475-STONE.
Some expert resources to have at the ready:
- Immunization Action Coalition: Experts from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) answer challenging and timely questions about vaccines and their administration. Here comes cold and flu season.
- Scientific American: Answers from science to current affairs. Is the moon moving away from the earth?
- Foodsafety.gov: All about food safety and food poisoning. Ew, but necessary.
- GardenWeb: Everything about being a green thumb.
- DIYExperts: Thinking remodel? Give this site a thorough glance.